Wayne County Public Health
1519 Nye Rd., Lyons
What is lead poisoning? Lead poisoning is caused by swallowing or
breathing in lead. Lead is a metal that can harm children and adults
when it gets into their bodies. There are many sources of lead. Lead can
be found in dust, air, water, soil, and in some products used in and
around our homes. Lead can harm a young child's growth, behavior,
and ability to learn. Children under six years old are more likely to get
lead poisoning than any other age group. Most often, children get lead
poisoning from breathing in or swallowing dust from old lead paint
that gets on floors and windowsills, hands and toys. Lead can also be
passed from mother to baby during pregnancy. Although lead poisoning
is preventable, lead continues to be a major cause of poisoning
among children. Thousands of children are still at risk. The Department
of Public Health provides information on testing and staff who provide
follow-up services for children with elevated blood lead levels.
By appointment only. Mon.-Fri. 8am-5pm.
Contents were provided by The Green Angels in collaboration with agencies, organizations, citizens and officials who are committed to providing the community of Wayne County accurate and needed resource information so that all people in our community may find help with living challenges and reach their full potential.
Information and data subject to change. For up to date services listings please visit us online at www.wayneresourceguide.org (provided with the
generosity of the Bullis Fund/Rochester Area Community Foundation).
Copyright © 2010 - 2017. Designed and Maintained by Lichti International, Inc.