Fidelis Care
Wayne Resource Guide Intake/Temporary Assistance

Intake - for new Temporary Assistance (TA) and Food Stamp (FS) applications. The TA/FS Intake Unit, in addition to processing all new Temporary Assistance and Food Stamp applications, also processes HEAP applications, Emergency Assistance to Families (EAF), Diversional Payments and is responsible for conducting weekly Orientation sessions for applicants applying for cash benefits.

Temporary Assistance is temporary help for needy men, women and children. If you are unable to work, can't find a job, or your job does not pay enough, TA may be able to help you pay for your expenses. For more information visit or call the tollfree New York State Temporary Assistance Hotline at 800.342.3009 or local Social Service office.

HEAP is Home Energy Assistance Program. HEAP may help you pay for Electricity, Propane, Natural Gas, Wood, Oil, Kerosene, Coal, or any other heating fuel. HEAP is a federally funded program that issues heating benefits to supplement a household's annual energy cost. HEAP also offers an emergency benefit for households in a heat or heat related energy emergency. Additionally, HEAP offers a furnace repair and/or replacement benefit for households with inoperable heating equipment.

Food Stamps is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP (formerly known as food stamps) is a program to help you buy food. Whether you live alone or live with others, whether you have children or not, sometimes you can't pay all the bills and still have enough money to buy food. That's when SNAP/food stamp benefits can really help. When you get SNAP/food stamps, you will be given an account, like a bank account. You will also get a plastic card. Each month, your SNAP/food stamp benefits are put into your account. You can use your EBT card at grocery stores, convenience stores, markets, and co-ops. You use it the same way someone would buy food with a bankcard or a credit card. SNAP/food stamps help just when you need it most. But many people don't think that they can get SNAP/food stamps. You don't have to be on welfare to get SNAP/food stamp benefits. And you may be eligible even if you are working. It all depends on your income, the money you have saved, and how many people live in your household. If you meet certain guidelines, you can get SNAP/food stamps.